Catalytic Converter Theft
A very common occurrence today is the theft of catalytic converters in vehicles. These complicated vehicle components are responsible for turning dangerous gases that your engine creates and converting them into less harmful gases before they are released into the atmosphere. It is a requirement for vehicles to have catalytic converters because they do their part to lower the negative effects that our cars have on our environment.
The reason why thieves look for catalytic converters is because they contain various precious metals such as palladium, platinum, rhodium, and copper. Plus, it only takes about three minutes total to steal these valuable parts. These converters can be sold for hundreds of dollars. Unfortunately, replacing a catalytic converter can cost much more to replace then they are worth selling after being stolen. The cost to replace a catalytic converter can be more if damage is done to surrounding parts during the theft as well.
What Vehicles Do Thieves Target?
Thieves tend to target vehicles whose catalytic converters are easy to access. These include SUVs, pickup trucks, vans, and crossovers. They also tend to pick cars that have been left unattended for long periods of time, especially in poorly lit parking lots. Toyota Prius vehicles are one of the most common targets for catalytic converter theft.
Ways to Prevent Catalytic Converter Theft
Here are a few things you can do to prevent catalytic converter theft from your vehicle.
- Park in well-lit parking lots as light works as a deterrent.
- Park close to entrances of buildings or near roads for public parking lots. People who pass by can see your car in such parking spots, making it hard for anyone to work underneath it.
- Keep the vehicle inside your garage and keep the entrance locked (if you have one).
- Add a video surveillance system to your outdoor parking.
- Have a cat shield installed to protect your catalytic converter. We can install your purchased cat shield here at our shop.
- Spray paint the converter orange with 1500 degree paint, as that tips off a legit purchaser that it may be stolen.
Here at Ripley’s Total Car Care in Houston and Spring, TX, we have specialized in catalytic converters since 1973. If you’ve been a recent victim of catalytic converter theft, we invite you into our shop for assistance. We can replace your converter in a timely manner at a very reasonable price.
If you are an unfortunate victim of catalytic converter theft and need a replacement, give our auto repair shop a call today!